11.26.2013

Pantry Stocking Tips When You Want to Go Asian..

I adore Asian food of all types and I crave it at least once a week.  I do my best to keep certain things stocked in my pantry so, when a craving strikes, I can whip something up instead of reaching for the phone for takeout.  Here are a few things you can pick up so you too can cook like a pro when you want to GO ASIAN!  Obviously, you don't need to buy ALL of these things at once, but over time, I think you will find that the more you have on hand, the more creative you can be with your produce and proteins.

Please note:  Some of these items are way over-priced at major supermarkets, so if you are on a budget, try visiting a local Asian Market or go to Trader Joe's if you have one nearby.

Any and All Vegetables (especially Carrots, Broccoli, Snow Peas, Water Chestnuts, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms, Zucchini, etc.)
Tofu (firm is best)
Nuts, raw or toasted (especially Cashews, Almonds and Peanuts)
Peanut Butter, Almond Butter, Coconut and Peanut Spread, Coconut Milk, Coconut Cream, Shredded Coconut, sweetened or unsweetened (basically anything that contains nuts and/or coconut)
Vegetable Broth or Vegan "Chicken" or "Beef" Broth (I really like all the products by Massel
The products are absolutely AH-MAZE-BALLS (thank you to my neighbor Jamie for introducing me to them!) they are all vegan and gluten-free!)

Dried Noodles such as Somen, Ramen, Udon, Vermicelli, Rice or any others
Toasted Sesame Oil 
Black or White Sesame Seeds
Sambal (Chili Garlic Sauce)
Miso Paste or Powder (Yellow or White)
Rice Wine Vinegar
Tamari or Soy Sauce
White Pepper
Garlic (fresh, jarred, pickled or powdered)
Ginger (fresh, frozen, pickled or powdered)
Curry Powders and Pastes (any and all colors and varieties may apply here)

If you already read my blog posts, you will notice that many of these ingredients are things I use on a regular basis.  If you want more Asian Recipe Inspiration, drop me a note at chumbutt at gmail dot com.
I am happy to help!  Have a great holiday everyone!  Eat, Drink and Be Merry.

P.S. Don't beat yourself up if you eat a little real butter over Thanksgiving, it happens to the best of us!  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment