2.26.2013

Vegan Live-It, Day One

This week, I decided to become a vegan.  But let's get real, I can't stand labels of any kind (unless I'm reading a package of food) so instead of calling me a vegan, let's call me "Chumbutt".  I promise to reveal the recipe for Chumbutt very soon.  It's a glorious veggie stew you won't be able to live without.  It's something I remember my Mother making for me, especially on cold nights, and it was always served with delicious crusty bread slathered in butter.

Today is the first day I have consumed zero animal products.  I started to transition a few days ago but was still having half n half in my coffee.  Finally I made a trip down to the market and picked up some soy creamer so today is officially day one.  I have been eating meat and animal products for most of my 35 years on planet Earth.  I did have a vegetarian phase in my teenage years but it didn't stick.  My reasons for becoming a vegan are numerous and not really important at this point because I am not trying to preach veganism to anyone.  If you are curious I can say that the primary reason is my health.  I want to be healthier and this is one way I intend to achieve this.  Another key reason for my vegan endeavor is because I absolutely adore food and cooking.  Frankly food is what I think about all the time.  I'm excited to explore vegan cooking and teach myself some new ways to enjoy foods I already love.

Growing up in Humboldt County, eating fresh fruits and vegetables from the local Co-Op and Farmer's Markets were tantamount to my existence.  I had a Mother who was gracious enough to slather them in butter, cheese, mayonaise, or all three, so putting away the veggies was really a non-issue.  And while I may be looking at ways to mimic such flavors on my new pathway in vegan food for myself, I'm a huge proponent of the use of fat in cooking.  I also have three children and a husband who are not going vegan so I will still be purchasing and cooking animal products for them.  Animal products don't gross me out.  I just don't want to eat them anymore, for now.

On this blog you will find entries on all of my vegan cooking endeavors but for the meat eaters and cheese lovers (I'll always be one of those no matter what I'm eating) I will share some of my favorite recipes too.  See, I don't believe there is any ONE right way of eating.  I do believe, though, that we are all ONE.  So regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you like to eat, I believe we are connected somehow.  Albeit perhaps only because we all need to eat something at some point to survive.  And if you are anything like me, you spend some part of your life reading other people's banter and recipes on-line so consider me officially google-able.  It is the internet that will bring us to together, for better or for worse, and our lives will never be the same.  Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogger and Veganville! I'm looking forward to trying out some of your recipes! :D

    ReplyDelete