5.08.2013

Chumbutt Pizza Topper

I didn't need to put an entire 1/3 cup of canola oil in my pizza toppings.  But I did.  I didn't need to consume nearly an entire pizza in one sitting.  But I did.  I didn't know this mornings' batch of roasted vegetables was going to be one of the best things I ever ate.  But it was.  Follow this recipe next time you are craving a truly decadent vegan pizza.  I guarantee you won't miss the cheese.  Did I really just say that?!  Me?  Miss Hardcore Cheese-Lover who in my former life would have put at least a pound of cheese on this bad boy.  Yep.  I did.  Consider me converted.

This recipe is only for the vegetable pizza topper.  The other components of the dish, crust, pesto and red sauce were all homemade and things I like to keep on hand at all times.  I crave Italian food.  Constantly.  I have made some notes to indicate the other components of the dish so use your imagination when making your own.  In all honesty, I'm pretty sure you could put this pizza topper on a piece of cardboard and it would probably still be tasty.  It's that good.  Give it a go.  Share your adventures with me.

Chumbutt Pizza Topper
1 Eggplant (peeled and cubed)
1 Red Bell Pepper (roughly chopped)
1/2 Bunch Green Onions (roughly diced)
1/2 Bunch of Kale (finely chopped, use food processor or use pure kale pulp from juicing)
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1/3 Cup Canola Oil or Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Aged Balsamic Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Thin Crust (made my own but any crust will do)
Pesto (made my own in my food processor with basil, garlic, cashews and lemon)
Red Sauce (made my own with tomato paste base, red wine, herbs and spices)
Red Pepper Flakes (garnish)
Curly Parsley (garnish)

This is the easiest pizza topper ever.  All you need is a casserole dish, the above ingredients and an hour of time.  Add all ingredients to casserole dish and toss to combine.  Roast at 400 F degrees for about 45 minutes, tossing every 15 minutes to ensure even browning.  Allow toppings to cool slightly and scoop them up with your favorite crust and sauce.  Or just grab a fork and start eating straight from the dish.  Delish!

Chef note:  the pizza dough pictured here is made using Chef Mario Batali's wonderful recipe that can be found here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/mario-batali/pizza-dough-recipe/index.html


Chumbutt Pizza Deconstructed

Close up of the Chumbutt Pizza Topper - "Ah"-Mazing


Chumbutt Pizza Topper - before being roasted, so colorful, so flavorful, so luscious...
Chumbutt Pizza Toppings - after being roasted, you can see they shrunk considerably and browned beautifully

2 comments:

  1. Do you mean 400 degrees F or C?

    I assume you mean F, but it's good to say. 400c may be a bit too toasty. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,

      I did mean 400 F - thank you for pointing this out. I will modify the recipe text.

      Best,
      Ashley aka Chumbutt

      Delete