10.24.2013

My First Sourdough Starter

Alright beloved readers, this is going to be an ongoing post that I will update as I discover my successes and failures on my adventures in making My First Sourdough Starter.  Who doesn't adore sourdough bread?  Here in San Francisco we are known for our Sourdough Bread.  I have often flirted with the idea of making my own sourdough starter but have never done it.  Today that is all going to change as I embark on the challenge.  I researched some recipes online but decided I would be experimental from the get go as I so often am on my culinary adventures.  Let the games begin!

I will post pictures after the first 24 hours so you can see what I'm working with.  Stay Tuned.

Sourdough Starter Recipe as follows (so far):
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup whole grain dark rye flour
1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons bottled spring water

I combined the flours and water and put them in a large stainless steel stock pot that is now basically covered (the lid has a small steam hole in it and I put a dishtowel on top).  I have the pot sitting on top of my refrigerator.  My understanding is the temperature level should stay somewhat consistent and ideally be over 70 degrees F.  In my poorly insulated home in San Francisco, 70 degrees F this time of year is a tall order but I'm hoping by putting the concoction on top of the fridge, the temperature will remain somewhat consistent.  We shall see.  I have set a reminder to myself to start "feeding" the starter 24 hours from now and twice a day, roughly 12 hours apart, from this point forward for at least a week before using the starter.

PLEASE NOTE:  My inspiration for this recipe came from the following recipe and website: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread/


No comments:

Post a Comment