3.26.2013

Celebrating Motherhood and Veganism

Thirteen pounds down in one month and I have never felt better.  I am finding new meaning in veganism that is so much larger than losing weight.  My skin looks better.  My mind is clearer.  My sleep is more restful and I don't wake up feeling tired.  Even my house is cleaner because I'm not finding daily tasks like sweeping, dishes and laundry to be quite as daunting as they seemed before.  It's funny because I read about some of these things that other folks had mentioned when they made the switch and here I am living it.  The manifestations of a plant based diet are more real than I ever imagined.

I am not blogging so that the world turns vegan.  But, the choices I am making are definitely having a major impact on my family for the better.  Our fruit and vegetable drawers have never been fuller.  My 2 and 3 year old boys are scarfing down quinoa pasta coated in nutritional yeast.  Neither my husband nor my children are going vegan but they are eating more of real food because I'm doing my best to not buy the processed crap that used to occupy my pantry.  It is tough though.  I wish there were more organic or at least less processed options for everyday staples.

Luckily, I am in a food mecca capital of the world so my options are wide.  I just wish every corner store would start stocking my faves.  A girl can dream.  This summer is going to be a big challenge with vacations on the horizon.  I'm not so much concerned about temptation as I am just options while I am traveling in places like airports and roadside stops.  Anyone have any good suggestions outside of bring your own food and seek out undressed salads?

Creating new recipes has continued to be a fantastic way for me to keep my momentum going.  Not to mention all the lovely non-ill side-effects.  I look forward to providing you with a colorful new recipe for you to try at home on my next post.  For now, have a lovely day and I will talk to you all soon.

P.S.  I need a T-shirt that reads "Got Vegan?" [Any vendors out there?]

No comments:

Post a Comment