4.14.2013

Day 56 - Vegan Going Strong

Hi Everyone.  I decided to give a little update on My New Vegan Life but sorry no recipes tonight but I will discuss a few upcoming ideas.  I trust everyone has been enjoying their weekend.  I know I did.  I had my favorite houseguest my baby sister visiting me and of course we had an awesome time.  She was super excited to try out some of my vegan creations.  I also successfully ate out at a couple restaurants with no major hitches.  One was Japanese and the other Thai so it wasn't a huge feat as both places had plenty of vegan fare to chose from but, still, it was a first for both since my shift.

So far everything has been going really well.  My weight loss has slowed but only because I have been eating too much.  This doesn't really surprise me.  Have you seen my recipes?  As I've realized it's still very easy to consume way too many calories whether you are vegan or not.  It's all about calories in and calories out.  I'm sure I will lose more weight over time but I am not unhappy about it.  I didn't go vegan just to lose weight.  I went vegan so I would eat more plant-based foods and enhance my overall quality of life.  So far I have done both and I am anticipating things are only going to get better.

Primary source of not losing more weight (aside from too many calories) um, two things, carbohydrates and fat.  I have been eating more carbs than I have in years and while it is very exciting for this former Atkin's dieter, it's also not a great way to shed pounds.  Fortunately the fat I have been eating is very good fat i.e. olive oil, coconut, etc.  but it still needs to be consumed in moderation and moderation has just never been my thing.  I tend to live more by a quote from Jerry Garcia "Too Much of Everything is Just Enough".  Any Dead Heads out there?!  LOL.  Oh how I miss the 80s and 90s.  I don't know how many Dead shows I went to but let's just say I went to my first when I was just 9 years old.  Enough said.

So before I sign off I will give you a glimpse of some recipes I have been working on.  As I incorporate more Chia Seeds into my life, I have decided to make up some kick butt recipes with them outside of the usual Chia Seed Pudding everyone is raving about.  How about putting that Chia Seed Pudding into your ice cream maker and making vegan frozen custard?  I'm sure it's been done and found a few folks who had dabbled in it.  Sounds pretty good to me.  I'll keep you posted on this experiment.

I would love to hear some ideas from folks on what you would like to see in the way of recipes.  There seems to be a lot out there on vegan desserts and that is great but I am more of a savory girl.  Anyone out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment