4.24.2013

Vegan Espresso Chip Ice Cream

Chia seeds as the egg component in Vegan Ice Cream - Stroke of genius. I decided to try my hand at chia seed pudding so I made two batches. One vanilla, one espresso. I used almond milk for the liquid component.

As I was tasting my puddings (both creamy and rich) it dawned on me that I might be able to use the pudding as an ice cream base. So Voila! My Vegan Espresso Chip Ice Cream was born. I combined my two batches of pudding and topped with some very large chips (or rather, SLABS) of dark chocolate.

The photos are a progression of my ice cream that I popped out of a mold. Most homemade vegan ice cream straight from the freezer needs to sit out and soften to be fully enjoyed (unless you add stabilizers like arrowroot and other things). I don't have this stuff on hand.

So after my creation sat out for a full 15 minutes I thought I would reconstitute it with some more non-dairy milk (this time I used Silk Vanilla Soy). After all, it was after midnight and I was craving a milkshake. I plan on experimenting further with this recipe before revealing it.

However (spoiler alert) just follow any chia seed pudding recipe (my chia seeds from Trader Joe's had a recipe on the package!). Add a good healthy dose of instant espresso powder, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, sweetener of choice and chocolate chunks (or whatever you like) and toss in your ice cream machine. Be sure to blend mixture well so chia seeds get fully dissolved. Anyone else out there in cyberspace have any Chia Seed Ice Cream Recipes? I'd love to brainstorm on ways to improve and expand on this one!! Happy Eating!









No comments:

Post a Comment