4.27.2013

Easy Thai Yellow Curry

I actually wasn't sure I was going to post this recipe because it's so easy.  I mean, I know, for some, that is a good thing so I figured I'd throw it up.  After all, it won't take long.  I don't consider this recipe particularly original seeing as how I used pre-made curry paste, HOWEVER, the way I prepared it lent itself well to a "any night of the week" dinner.  I only used ONE pan to make the entire dish, always a very good thing!!

I am a BIG fan of Thai Yellow Curry.  I always love to order this when I go out for Thai Food.  It's nice to know I can actually have it, any day of the week, in my own kitchen using ONE pan.  Next time, I think I'll make my own curry paste but for now, this will do just fine.

Easy Thai Yellow Curry
1 Casserole Dish (for cooking)
3 Tablespoons Olive Oil (any oil will do)
2-4 Tablespoons Thai Yellow Curry Paste (pictured - use 1 Tablespoon at a time to test  your spiciness level)
1-2 Tablespoons Sugar (add more to counter some of the spiciness)
2 Cans of Vegetable Broth
1 Can Coconut Milk (pictured)
1 Kabocha Squash (looks like a green pumpkin, use half if squash is large)
1 Sweet Yellow Onion
2 Sweet Potatoes (the white one or orange one works nice too)
2 Russet Potatoes (or Yukon Golds are perfection)
Sea Salt and Pepper (to taste)
1-2 Limes or Lemons (for garnish)
Cilantro (for garnish)
Jasmine Rice (for serving)


Preheat oven to 350 Degrees.  Chop Kabocha Squash in half and remove seeds using a spoon.  Chop squash carefully as it is very hard to chop.  Chop Potatoes in uniform size (1 1/2 inch cubes).  It is FINE to eat the green rind of the squash- it's yummy!  Toss in oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt and black pepper in a large casserole dish.  Place in oven for 20 minutes.  While it is cooking, finely slice onion and place onions atop potatoes (allow to cook for 10 minutes) and then remove from oven.  Add vegetable broth and curry paste, TOSS, and return to oven for another 10 minutes.  At this point your dish has cooked about 40 minutes.

Remove from oven and stir in 1 can of coconut milk and add sugar, salt and pepper, to taste.  Test potatoes and squash for doneness.  Continue cooking 10 minute increments until potatoes are tender to the tooth. It shouldn't take more than an hour.

I'm sure if you wanted this to be a truly ONE POT meal, and save on time, you could just add all the ingredients from the get go, but I think you will find the "roasting", 10 minutes at a time, method adds a certain heirloom touch to the finished product.  Serve with Jasmine Rice and garnish with Lime and Cilantro.  ENJOY!  Your belly will thank you.  =]












No comments:

Post a Comment